Friday, November 26, 2010

Three Steps To Help You in Your Goal Setting

We are coming to the close of another year and the beginning of a new one. This is not a story about New Year’s resolutions, but it is a story about something very similar – goal setting. Getting your goals and objectives in order is extremely important.

I know the New Year brings about all kinds of resolutions, or goal setting, but everyone has a hard time staying with it to completion. I would like to help you in the setting of your goals, so that you have the best chance of hitting your target.

Here are three steps you can take to get you started in the right direction.

1. Make a List

I’m a list maker. I have lists all over the place. A list for what I have to do the next day, or what I would like to accomplish during the week. Lists are good. They give me a short view and the long view of what it is I want to do. My lists help me to see what my goals are. You need to start with a view of what exactly you want to do. Write everything down that you want to accomplish. Don’t worry how farfetched an idea it is, write it down.

Next is two divide your list into two parts. The short view – what you want to accomplish in the next two months, and the long view – everything that you want to accomplish in the next year. Some say not to look to far down the road, but I think you need to have long term goals as well.

2. How Are You Going To Get There?

When I talk to my grand-children, and they tell me what they want to be when they grow up, they will tell me all kinds’ wonderful things they aspire to be, but if you asked them how are they going to get there, they look at you very strangely. They are young and don’t have a clue on how to get to the fulfillment of their dreams. Many adults in the network marketing arena are exactly the same way. I was in that very same crowd.

You have to formulate a plan of action that is going to get you from point A to point B. If I want to sign up one person a week into my primary business, the numbers say that I have to talk to sixty people a month, that’s fifteen people a week, and that’s three people a day. Sign up one person a week, is four people a month, and that’s 48 people a year. That would be nice.

I have just set a goal, both long term and short term, and I have a plan of action on what I have to do to get me where I want to be.

3. Take Action – Get Started

This is probably the hardest part, at least it is for me. My wife knows me very well. She has been bugging me to paint the garage door all summer long. She knows that once I get started, I will finish the job and I will do a very good job as well. It’s just getting me started, that’s the hard part. Just like the Rolling Stones song says, “If you start me up, I will never stop.” That’s me. So what she did was get the paint and she started. I come out and see her doing it all wrong. Now I get involved, and she slowly steps back and out of the picture, leaving me to complete the task. She knows it just takes getting me started.

I don’t care how well you have planned and put together this incredible system, if you don’t get it put into action, you might as well just sit down in front of that TV all day, because that’s how much you will accomplish. Get off your duff and get moving. Just start. It’s doesn’t have to be perfect, but once you get rolling, you will get better and better with more practice.

One final thought, goals are meant to be a measurement of where you are and, what you might have to tweak, to get to where you want to be. So if you don’t hit your goal square in the target, that’s OK. Make the adjustment and fire at it again. The only time you will ever miss your target, is when you quit shooting.


articlecity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment